If you find yourself grieving the death of someone close to you, the thought of the holiday can be very overwhelming but there are things you can do to prepare.
- Be honest with how you are feeling to people close to you.
- If you agree to plans allow yourself the ability to not go of it becomes too difficult.
- If you go to someone’s home, park in the street so you can leave when you are ready without a lot of fuss. While there, bring things that bring you comfort should you need a few moments to yourself….photo, small soft items, their perfume or cologne.
- Do something in honor of your loved one…volunteer, make a donation, something that they would appreciate.
- Create new traditions while doing what means something to you.
- And if it comes to it….it’s ok to take a holiday off.
The holiday season is full of traditions, emotions and expectations. Self-care is very important during this time, plenty of sleep, eating healthy and drink plenty of nonalcoholic beverages. No matter what you want your life to look like this year…it’s up to you completely. Give yourself grace and patience as you navigate this time of year.